Alas, we all can’t travel like Angelina Jolie. You know, stretched out in first class, complete with body guards and nannies for each of our kids. But if you pack these five little things for your kids the next time you board the plane, your flight just might go a little more smoothly. And maybe, just maybe, you’ll have the same wide smile as Angie when you arrive at your final destination.
P.S. I’m leaving today on a 6-hour flight to Kauai with 2 kids in tow, so I’ll let you know how it goes and if there’s anything else to add to the list. Have any other family travel tips and suggestions? Share them after the post.
1. An iPad. Yes, it’s pricey, but in that one small gadget you can entertain your kid with educational games, books, music, TV shows and movies to their heart’s content. You can even skip the coloring books and crayons! And if/when your kid finally takes a nap, you can enjoy some in-flight entertainment too.
2. A portable DVD player is a good bet if the iPad is out of your budget, and you can get one for as littler as $60. Just forget your strict rule on limiting screen time, and load up on your kid’s favorite movies and cartoons. And don’t forget the headphones so your neighbors don’t have to listen to Dora five hours straight.
3. Sippy Cup, trainer cup, or a spill proof bottle. Your kid may be an expert at sipping from a cup, but anything can happen on a long flight. There’s turbulence, the person in front suddenly reclines, or your kid’s just clumsy…like mine. And if you happen to doze off from the Dramamine, you don’t have to worry about anything cold landing on your lap.
4. I always bring a bag of candy or lollipops. Not only do they help out with the whole ear pressure deal at take-off and landing, but unless you give your kid candy everyday, it’s a fun treat and a good bribe. Just make sure to brush thoroughly at the end of the day.
5. And speaking of food, don’t count on the airline for your kid’s meal. Pack your kid’s favorite meal and don’t forget the snacks.
And one more thing. Don’t bring everything out all at once!
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more finds delivered right to your inbox.
Click here to email Farah, the author of this post.